Skip to main content

Swissonic 88 Keyboard and Unique MIDI Controllers

Well my new keyboard has arrived in the mail, the Swissonic 88.

It is intended to replace the Keystation 88 as the main keyboard I use. It's my hope that the sliders and aftertouch will give me some added control over the instruments.

So far I am happy with the feel of the keys, and can say it's a solidly made device. The Yamaha FC-7 pedal I have works with it, with the polarity reversed, unlike the Keystation.

The touch of the keys is just slightly heavier than the Keystation which is a light touch keyboard. I prefer a light touch. The Keystation keys, are comparatively loose and light, the Swissonic, solid and light. The same can be said for the modwheel.

Overall the Swissonic being made of metal and a significant degree heavier than the Keystation gives a more reliable impression. 

I'd prefer aesthetically the Swissonic to be white or black, rather than pewter gray. The Keystation also takes up less space.  

It took me some time to get the Swissonic's sliders to work with the DAW, I had overlooked the need change settings on the Swissonic for that to occur properly, and kept trying to do it all in the DAW.

Nevertheless the Lord is merciful, and eventually it began to work properly.

I largely bought the Swissonic for the aftertouch as well, as I wished for that additional control. At this point, I am not happy at all with the aftertouch, it is too difficult to use precisely. Perhaps my feel of it will allow that in future, but at this point I doubt it, I will report back later, God willing.

Please note too, I can't speak to the companies that make these, they're worldly companies, so the usual moral issues are there.

There are also moral issues with music -- classical and chant are safer in general, though there can still be significant issues.

I haven't tried any of the included software with the Swissonic so can't speak to it either. The Keystation came with the Sonivox Eight-Eight which is one of the most beautiful pianos there is.

Thanksgiving has passed, and there have been many sales since. I have some nice new instrument plugins to play with on these keyboards. I have them both set up together and a little Worlde Panda off to the side. The TEC breath controller is plugged in, and there's little else I lack in the way of MIDI instruments for controlling the music.

In the future perhaps I will purchase the MIDI Expression Quattro so as to have more hands free control of some MIDI parameters. I already have the LEAP Motion, but it's set off to the side for now, I may find an instrument it works with in the future, it's nice to know that it's there.

There's also the Hot Hand USB ring, which is a more free ranging device similar to the LEAP Motion (combined with an app). I should like to pick up one of these in the future too.

I simply have a great interest in physical MIDI instruments that allow me to more fully and expressively use virtual instruments.

I have to say the TEC Breath controller has some special abilities you simply can't quite replicate at this point with other MIDI devices, at least to my knowledge. Imitating breath with sliders and knobs.. doesn't seem to be too realistic. And the response that the controller gives works well with MIDI parameters for instruments other than woodwinds -- such as violins.

This entry has gone on for a bit. The Lord has been good to me. Let's write further later about musicial subjects. . I have a new camera lens arrived in the mail so there is something to write about too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In the meantime

God willing, I will be blogging more about Touchkeys in the coming days. In the meantime here is a a photographic interlude.

Midway through Installing Touchkeys on the FP-90

The testing phase complete, I have begun the installation. Before I detail that I'll talk about the testing phase. In the testing phase, all the boards and sensors are hooked up in the proper order, and plugged into the USB connector on the computer, to be powered up and tested through the software. I laid mine out on poster board, which proved convenient as it was strong enough to hold the laid out sensors, and convenient to move them to other locations out of the way, as I lack a lot of free surface space at this time. The testing phase went well save for one hitch, in which the last board's sensors would only function once in a blue moon. After some helpful advice from Dr. McPherson, and reading about previous installations on the Touchkeys group, the most probable cause for this appeared to be a lack of sufficient power from the USB port. I spent a good deal of time fiddling around with possible solutions -- plugging the USB cable into all sorts of ports, and f

Images of Young Fawns

  Three fauns came to visit for the entire afternoon. Here are some inspirational reflections. '"Walk before Me and be perfect." (Gen. xvii. i.) Let everything recall to you the presence of God. If, for example, you go into the garden and see some flowers, ask one of them. What are you? It will not reply, I am a flower. No, but it will say to you, Ego vox - I am a preacher; I preach the power, the wisdom, the goodness, the beauty, the prudence of our great God. Imagine that the flower makes you this reply, and let it penetrate your heart and teach you a lesson of divine love.' St. Paul of the Cross 'All that God gives us and all that He permits in this world have no other end than to sanctify us in Him.' St. Catherine of Siena A prayer. . . Act of Love   from the Small Roman Missal As the hart panteth after the fountains of water, so my soul panteth after Thee, O God! "My soul hath thirsted after the strong, living Go